Code Enforcement

The Code Enforcement Department’s mission statement is, "Safeguarding Our Community Through Code Compliance."  We are here to assist our community and citizens with the following services:

  • Building Code Enforcement  (including permitting and inspections)
  • Community Appearance Ordinance
  • Junked and Nuisance Vehicle Ordinance
  • Minimum Housing Ordinance
  • Non-Residential Maintenance Ordinance

You can now apply for all building permit applications online! To submit an application to the Codes Enforcement Department click the OPENGOV link below.




Frequently Asked Questions?

What are the office hours? Monday-Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

How do I schedule an inspection? Log into your OPENGOV account and schedule inspections for any of your active records.

What is the turn around time for an inspection? Inspections scheduled before 3:30 p.m. will be performed the next business day. 

How will I know if my inspection passed or failed? An inspection results notice will be left at the jobsite if the contractor or owner is not present. You may also log into your OPENGOV account and view inspection results for any of your active records.

When do I need a lien agent? CLICK HERE

How do I obtain a lien agent? CLICK HERE

How do I get approval to occupy an existing commercial building? CLICK HERE

How do I submit plans for review? Plans can be hand delivered or mailed to the Codes Enforcement Department at 1013 N. Piedmont Ave. Kings Mountain, NC 28086.

How many sets of plans are required to be submitted for commercial plan review? NEW BUILDINGS AND ADDITIONS: (4) complete sets including civil/site plans and (3) additional sets of civil/site plans.  All other projects require (3) complete sets unless otherwise noted. Fire Protection projects require (2) sets of plans.

What is the turn around time for a commercial plan review?  Typically 1 to 3 weeks.

What do I need to know about Asbestos? The City of Kings Mountain is not responsible for testing, abatement or disposal of materials containing asbestos during demolition of structures. This is solely the permit applicants responsibility. CLICK HERE to learn more about asbestos requirements.

How can I access the building codes? CLICK HERE.

How do I request an informal review of an inspection decision? CLICK HERE to download an internal review request form if you wish to dispute an inspection decision made by an inspector. Submit this form to the Director of Codes Enforcement by email or deliver to the inspections department.

How can I get permanent electrical service prior to obtaining a Certificate of Occupancy? CLICK HERE to access form and then submit to the Codes Department.